This is an electric call to justice that revives the story of Tom Joad from John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath. This book portrays the marginalized in the Depression of the 1930’s. In particular it traces the story of Toma Joad and his family who are forced to migrate west to California from Oklahoma. Bruce Springsteen updated the story to illustrate how the injustices then are still with us. It is a longer song at just over 7 minutes. It is also quite loud!
- How does this song make you feel?
- How does the message echo parts of the scripture? (Consider Matthew 20:16, and Matthew 25:31-46)
- How does this piece echo the voice of the Biblical and modern day prophets?
- What elements of this video make it powerful?
- Where is God’s voice heard in this experience?
Grapes of Wrath plot synopsis