Sunday December 29, 2019
1. Visio (See) Look at the art. What do you see? What is happening?
2. Meditatio (Meditate) How does it make you feel?
3. Lectio (Read, Context) Read the Gospel passage below. View the reflection by Geoff Wheaton SJ How does the painting correspond with the Gospel?
4. Oratio (Pray) Silently sit with this image opening yourself up to the flow of the Holy Spirit.
5. Contemplatio (Ponder) How is God speaking to you in this Visio Divina? Share your thoughts by writing them or telling them.
6. Operatio (Act) Because of this Visio Divina, what acts or changes in thinking do you want to happen in your life?
13 Now after they had left, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, ‘Get up, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.’ 14Then Joseph* got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt, 15and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfil what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet, ‘Out of Egypt I have called my son.’
19 When Herod died, an angel of the Lord suddenly appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt and said, 20‘Get up, take the child and his mother, and go to the land of Israel, for those who were seeking the child’s life are dead.’ 21Then Joseph* got up, took the child and his mother, and went to the land of Israel. 22But when he heard that Archelaus was ruling over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And after being warned in a dream, he went away to the district of Galilee. 23There he made his home in a town called Nazareth, so that what had been spoken through the prophets might be fulfilled, ‘He will be called a Nazorean.’
Rest on the Flight into Egypt, Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio